Wednesday 23 February 2011

A wasted miracle

I have wondered since young, what was it that was 'heard' by Saiyidina Umar Al-Khattab on the day he embraced Islam. We all know he read Surah Taha verse 1-14 (if I'm not wrong), and the arrogant, daughter-murderer's heart softened. I have read the same verses many times but I still couldn't see how these verses could have melted him. I mean, Surah Ar-Rahman touches my heart more. Surah Al-Waqiah is scarrier.

Now I know.

Although I still don't know what he 'heard', but now I know why he could 'hear' it. Because Umar Al-Khattab was a master in Arabic language. He was one of the regular judges for the their community's poetry competition.

So he could experience the linguistic miracle of the Quran.

What a waste that we have a miracle in our hands and look at it every single day, but never exactly know why it is a miracle.

No comments: